6(6-oz.) soufflé dishes
small sauce pan
2 large bowls
electric or hand beater
9 x 13 baking pan
2 teaspoons of sugar (to coat soufflé's dishes)
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup low-fat milk
6 Tablespoons of sugar, divided
3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
6 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tarter
1. Measure two portions of sugar - three tablespoons each and 2 teaspoons to dust soufflé dishes.
2. Toast walnuts.
3. Coat just the bottoms of six souffle dishes with cooking spray and then sprinkle each with 1/4 teaspoon of sugar.
4. Melt margarine/butter in saucepan over medium heat and add flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Gradually add milk and 3 Tablespoons of sugar, while continuing to stir constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl.
6. Mash and measure banana and combine with walnuts and vanilla and lemon juice and add to milk mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool completely. (Put dish in ice bath to quicken)
7. Beat egg whites and cram of tartar a high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 3 Tablespoon of sugar, 1 Tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
8. Gently fold egg white mixture in banana mixture.
9. Spoon evenly into prepared soufflé dishes
10. Place dishes in a 9 x 13 pan and add hot water to the pan to the depth of 1 inch. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until puffed.
Best if served immediately
Directions for Proceeding:
Cook 1 Cook 2
1. Complete step 1 1. Complete step 2
2. Complete step 3 2. Complete step 4
3. Complete step 5 3. Complete step 6
4. Finish steps 7 - 10 together