Myra's Red Lentil Soup
2 c. red lentils
8 c. water or broth (I use low sodium vegetable broth)
1/2 teas. cumin (I use more)
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 large onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced (I use 2)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
juice of one lemon
1. Wash lentils, combine them with broth & bring to a boil.
2. Boil, covered, for 1/2 hour.
3. When lentils are soft, add dry spices to the pot.
4. Sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until brown, and then add it to the soup mixture.
5. Simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and add the juice of one lemon.
7. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste (and sometimes you need to add a little more cumin.
8. Your may garnish this with parsley and paprika.
Myra's Potage Parmentiere
or Vichyssoise when served cold
1. Whites of 2 leeks
2. 6 tbsp. butter
3. 5 cups chicken stock
4. 4 medium potatoes, peeled (Yukon Gold potatoes
are a must!)
5. 1 cup milk
6. 1/2 cup cream
Substitutions - necessitated by Covid shopping difficulties which worked out well.
1. One onion and a stalk of celery.
2. 2 teaspoons of butter
3. 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4. 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled.
(No substitution acceptable.)
5. 1 cup skim milk
6. 1/2 cup Carnation evaporated milk - optional