Saute pan or baking sheet
2 Cutting boards
6 Salad plates
1/2 cup salted pistachios
1/2 cup mandarin oranges
1 large or two small fennel bulbs
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
3 Tablespoon of olive oil
2 Tablespoon of fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Proceeding
1. Complete steps 1,5, and 6
2. With partner , complete steps 7-9
1. Complete steps 2-4
2. With partner, complete steps 7-9
This is a sturdy salad, so don’t be worried that it will be ready before the stew. Plate the salad and add the pistachios when the stew begins the final simmer.
1. Heat the pistachios over medium-low heat in the sauté pan. Stir them often until they are golden and emit a nutty aroma. Watch them carefully as they burn easily. Spread them out on a cutting board and roughly chop them after they have cooled. (Alternately, you may het the nuts in a 325o oven until golden, about 10 minutes, stirring or shaking once during that time.)
2. Drain the oranges and put them in the bowl.
3. Quarter the fennel bulb and then remove the core.
4. Slice the fennel quarters crosswise very thinly and add them to the bowl.
5. Very thinly slice the radishes and add them to the bowl.
6. Coarsely chop the cilantro leaves and add them to the bowl.
7. Add the olive oil and lime juice to the salad mixture and toss to coat.
8. Season the salad with salt and pepper.
9. Sprinkle the pistachios over the salad before serving.