SWEET POTATO SOUP_JAMIE GELLER
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 large yellow onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
4 medium carrots
7 cups vegetable broth (I used low sodium, pareve chicken broth)
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
¼ cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
5 ripe pears
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
3 Tablespoons butter
Low-fat vanilla yogurt
Makes 10 servings
Slice the pears in half, remove the core and stem. Line the bottom of a glass baking dish with brown sugar. Place the pears cut side down on the brown sugar. Pour orange juice over the pears and dot each with butter. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon and nutmeg and add a pinch of cloves. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until the pears are tender.
Place each pear in a bowl. Pour some of the sauce on the pear. Serve with low-fat vanilla yogurt.
2 c. red lentils
8 c. water or broth (I use low sodium vegetable broth)
1/2 teas. cumin (I use more)
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 large onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced (I use 2)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
juice of one lemon
1. Wash lentils, combine them with broth & bring to a boil.
2. Boil, covered, for 1/2 hour.
3. When lentils are soft, add dry spices to the pot.
4. Sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until brown, and then add it to the soup mixture.
5. Simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and add the juice of one lemon.
7. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste (and sometimes you need to add a little more cumin.
8. Your may garnish this with parsley and paprika.
Myra's Potage Parmentier
or Vichyssoise when served cold
1. Whites of 2 leeks
2. 6 tbsp. butter
3. 5 cups chicken stock
4. 4 medium potatoes, peeled (Yukon Gold potatoes
are a must!)
5. 1 cup milk
6. 1/2 cup cream
Substitutions - necessitated by Covid shopping difficulties which worked out well.
1. One onion and a stalk of celery.
2. 2 teaspoons of butter
3. 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4. 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled.
(No substitution acceptable.)
5. 1 cup skim milk
6. 1/2 cup Carnation evaporated milk - optional