Stiff food brush
10-12 inch skillet
Knife for slicing meat
_____ 12 medium shrimp
_____12 small hard-shelled clams
_____1/2 pound smoked sausage
_____ 6 skinless chicken thighs
_____ salt and freshly ground pepper
_____ 1/2 cup onion
_____ 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
_____ 5 cloves garlic
_____1 medium green pepper
_____ 1 large tomato
_____ 3 cups of rice
_____1/4 teaspoon saffron
_____ 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
_____vegetable cooking spray
Directions for Proceeding:
Cook 1 Cook 2
Complete steps 1-3. Complete step 4.
Complete step 5 -6. Complete step 7 -8.
Complete steps 9-12 with partner
This recipe results in very generous portions, particularly of the rice. You may try decreasing the amount of rice used, but if you do, be sure to decrease the amount of boiling water as well. Of course, the types of fish and meat may vary or pescatarians may just use a variety of fishes.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Scrub clams thoroughly with a stiff brush under cold running water.
3. Set clams and shrimp aside on plates.
4. Slice sausage into ½ inch rounds. Spray fry pan with vegetable spray and add 1 tsp of olive oil and fry in skillet until browned. Drain on paper towel.
5. Pat the chicken dry with paper towel and cut each thigh in two.
6. In the skillet, heat ¼ cup olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and brown well, turning with tongs to brown evenly and remove chicken to a separate plate.
7. Chop onion and mince garlic.
8. Cut pepper into strips and chop tomato.
9. Add remaining ¼ cup of olive oil to skillet and sauté onions, pepper strips, and tomato, over medium heat until vegetables have softened. Add garlic and sausage and cook briefly.
10. In a 14 inch casserole or paella pan, combine onion/pepper mixture, rice, salt, if desired and saffron. Pour in 6 cups boiling water stirring constantly.
11. Arrange meats and seafood on rice and scatter peas. Do not stir again once arranged. Set pan on the bottom rack in the oven and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
12. Remove paella when done,, cover, and let rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with lemon.