Including fruits in your diet has many health benefits. A delightful way to enjoy fruits is to make a crisp. It's a perfect dessert, easy to make, and tastes great. Unlike many other baked desserts, ingredients do not have to be precise. You can choose a favorite fruit combination and if you add a little more or less than the recipe calls for, it really won't make a big difference. In the following recipe, if you have lovely fresh peaches and blueberries, that's great. But if those great fresh fruits are not available, frozen fruits work and even canned ones in their own juice will give a wonderful tasty result. Another bonus is that this crisp, depending on the fat used in the topping, is acceptable for vegans as well. In the following recipe, I've given precise ingredients and amounts which you can count on for an easy and great dessert, but I'd love to have you comment and let me know if you enjoyed it or if you altered it.
Blueberry Peach Crisp
2 cans (29 ounces sliced peaches) in their own juice
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2/3 cup brown sugar, divided
5/8 cup flour, divided
3 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
1 1/2 cup of quick cooking oats
3 Tablespoon butter, oil, or favorite spread
Directions for Proceeding:
1. Drain peaches in colander and mix with berries in a large bowl. (Frozen berries do best in semi-thawed state.)
2. Combine in small bowl, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
3. In a large bowl coat fruit well with flour mixture and put into the baking dish.
4. In medium bowl combine oats, 3/8 cup flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and
1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
5. Add the softened spread and mix well. (Use pastry blender or clean hands.)
6. Spread the dry ingredients evenly over fruit.
7. Bake a 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Cover with foil after 20 minutes if the top is too brown.
8. Serve warm with a frozen topping if desired. Serves 6
So, what do you think? Will you use this recipe as written or change it? Please comment and let me know!
Tricia Gregory, MA,RD/N
A dietitian who is a foodie and loves a great dinner party with wonderful food and terrific friends.